1. Where can I go to hire a new staff member? [The answers you read here are from other practicing CADS dentists in Austin, and have been edited only for organization, and clarity. The opinions are those of the dentists, and do not reflect any official opinion of CADS.]
- Notes: It may help to boost your post. This site is the most frequently mentioned by the dentists I have surveyed.
- Dental Post
- Notes: "Dental Post was somewhat expensive." May be "paying money to see the same dang resumes that have been posted for years."
- Word of Mouth
- Referrals from Staff or Colleagues
- Notes: "Most of our dental assistant candidates have been referrals from our dental assistants who are friends with them."
- Asking other people in the industry
- Vendor Reps - "Do they know anyone who is looking?," Patterson Rep.
- Notes: May have success or may find "spotty" responses.
- There is a tab on the top that says "hire a grad" which is where I click to fill out the info form.
2. When you need a temp (think: ‘7AM and your assistant just texted that she’s not coming to work’), who do you work with? [The answers you read here are from other practicing CADS dentists in Austin, and have been edited only for organization, and clarity. The opinions are those of the dentists, and do not reflect any official opinion of CADS.]
- We do NOT hire temps. We make due with team that is available. I will not use a temp. I would rather reschedule...especially when it comes to hygiene.
KAD Dental Staffing, Dental Auxiliary Services,
- KAD is the only reliable option for our practice.
- Dental Auxillary in Austin and KADS- neither have ANY temps for hygiene or assisting
We use Dental Auxiliary and DRM (Dental Resource Management) but honestly bc of COVID and not being able to COVID test temp staff, we have just gotten used to being short staffed! And DRM has not been as responsive as they have been in the past
Dental Integration Services https://dentalintegrationservices.com
I never needed temps until Covid. I have now used them quite a bit and have been really impressed with Cloud Dentistry.
Flossing Direct https://flossingdirect.com - I initially had success with using this temp agency, but, since Covid hit, they have ceased to deliver excellent workers, and sometimes have not even answered the phone.
Labor Note: "I have heard/know some hygienists currently temping have gone back to 1099 vs W2. They are charging an insane rate for 1099. I have heard as high as $70. About a decade ago, I know a few dentists that got hit with IRS penalties. They felt temp hygienists did not fit the definition of contract labor. I have also heard that hiring them through a service like Cloud Dental helps to mitigate some of the potential tax implications."
3. Is there anything else that would be relevant on a jobs/hiring page you would like to see? [These are unedited responses as to additional things people would like to see, in the future.]
Dental Vendors in town:
- Hewitt, Patterson, Capital Area Equipment, Burkhart, Henry Schein, Benco, Dental Supplies: Net 32, TDA Perks
- OSHA/HIPPA Training (Sterious , etc)
- Who does handpiece repair?
- Handpiece repair: Handpiece Express has been working well for me." They sponsor CADS also.
Plumbing for dental offices 3G, etc
I know for our program, it would be great to see what their experience is or how they work best (ie-has experience in pediatrics or cosmetics, etc) I would hate to bring on a temp to our dental program that does not like working with kids or only has been working in an ortho office so does not have those normal chairside skills.
Currently looking for a full time assistant and part time hygienist in South Austin...
It would be great if resumes could be posted, I feel like that signifies a higher level of interest in those who are posting on the sites, anticipated availability of the candidate (immediate, 2 weeks, 2 months etc.) Actual good resumes?!? :) Thankfully I am finally fully staffed after 2 years of drama. I like having actual people and numbers to call.. it’s old school- but I’d rather deal directly with a temp than go through a service. Best way to contact - we never get calls back from the CADS listings.
- Associateships; equipment; leases; chair availability; maternity coverage